The President’s Grand Gun Control Plan & EOs ~
Today, the President is announcing that he and the Administration will:
1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.
2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.
4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.
MORE FROM THE GUN VIOLENCE EVENT:
TRANSCRIPT: Read Obama, Biden’s Remarks on Gun Control Proposals
VIDEO: Obama Reads Letters From Kids at WH Event
WATCH: President Obama Lays Out Gun Control Measures, Addresses Sandy Hook Victims’ Loved Ones
5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.
6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.
8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.
11. Nominate an ATF director.
12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.
13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.
16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.
18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.
20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.
22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.
23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.
You can read the transcript of Biden and Obama’s speeches here.
The use of children, dead and alive, by this administration was beyond shameful.
What is missing from most of yak, yak, yaking from the pundits and Congress critters, who really should know better, is that the Congress, nor the President has the constitutional power to infringe on my right to bear arms. Period. (And that includes the ammo too.) It’s because of the likes of them that our wise Founders felt it necessary to have the 2nd Amendment written in our Bill of Rights. This isn’t brain surgery – it’s right there, in black and parchment for all to read. the Supreme Court can give their opinion until the cows come home – they cannot legislate or amend the Constitution, no matter how much they would like to do so. That isn’t in their job description.
My heart hurts so for any parent who loses a child to murder – I can’t begin to imagine what living through that would be like. I’m sure I’d be found in the corner in a fetal position. Yet sadly, all this political grandstanding and Liberty-snatching from law-abiding people will not save another child.
it isn’t the guns. it’s the fact that people who are prone to murderous behavior for whatever reason are left to freely roam the streets and maybe live in your neighborhood because the ACLU and their ilk have made it damn near impossible to institutionalize the mentally ill and properly punish the criminals.
My cousin was schizophrenic. When he was attended to and on his meds, he was fine. Unfortunately, in those days, the meds for Schzophrenia were pretty harsh and he would stop taking them- after all, he was doing okay. so he thought.
A sweet kid, I loved it when he would come visit. We’d roam my grandparents’ farm, shoot bows and arrows and catch frogs. He married a wonderful young woman after he served in the Vietnam War. Unfortunately, he was one of a number of people who can develop this mental illness as a young adult. They were divorced, I believe, by mutual consent.
On one of the occasions my cousin went off his meds, my uncle came home from the store and found him pouring gasoline over my aunt, ready to strike a match. She had suffered a stroke and was bedridden – helpless and terrified. Luckily, my uncle was able to subdue him and my aunt was unharmed. And luckily, this was before it took moving mountains to get someone into a place of help so they couldn’t harm anyone or themselves. It was a long, long nightmare for my aunt and uncle ~ nevermind the anguish that my cousin lived with day after day.
My cousin didn’t have a gun. No, he had a can of gasoline and a match. My aunt would have died a horrible death if my uncle hadn’t gotten home when he did.
I don’t know the answer to the murder of innocents. Lord knows, it has been happening since humans first walked this earth. And long before man invented firearms.
What I do know is the daily pain and fear of the parents of a mentally child. And there will always be criminals doing criminal things, with guns or without guns.
And I’ll tell you – if those making all these laws about owning a gun are telling me my daughter may have to let herself be raped or worse because she couldn’t shoot the bastard in self-defense…well, that’s a problem, right there.